Last week my husband and I both successfully beat a cold. It was going around, and we felt that weird kind-of-sore-throat feeling coming on. Here's what worked for us.
1. Dr. Sears mentioned a couple months ago to rinse off with a cold shower to boost immunity. I've been doing that 99% of the time since hearing that advice, although my husband keeps forgetting. (If I'm hot, I can take a cold shower for 2 minutes, if I'm chilly, maybe rinse off for 10 seconds!)
2. Dr. Travis a couple months ago talked about salt water gargle 3 times per day...since that show my husband and I have gargled twice a day. When I felt that weird throat pain last week, I did it 3 times a day until the pain went away.
3. I take Cold-Eeze zinc lozenges, one a day usually, and last week I took a few more for a couple days. My husband swears by Elderberry extract, and he took extra of that. We also take Vitamin C each and every day, which works better than when you already have a cold (Some people take 60mg, some take 500mg, and some take 1000mg--find what's right for you).
4. I've reduced my refined sugar intake in the past few months, little by little, so last week I cut out ALL refined sugar (even jam and ketchup) and just drank maybe one glass of orange juice (I ate fruits, such as apples). Now, my husband didn't cut out sugar and he still beat his cold, but he doesn't eat much sugar to begin with.
5. We made sure to get an extra hour of sleep.
6. We TRIED to reduce stress as much as possible...just take deep breaths...aaaah...
7. We drank extra water. Think my husband must have drank 10-12 cups a day and I drank 8 plus the water in my fruits and veggies (and soup!).
Hope this helps anyone in the fight against viruses!