If you've been considering or curious about becoming vegetarian (lacto-ovo vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, or vegan) here are some sound tips from the book Politically Incorrect Nutrition: Finding Reality in the Mire of Food Industry Propaganda by Michael Barbee, C.D.C:
The author states that it is kind of a myth that vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters. They can end up being just as "unhealthy" as anyone else if they are not careful and make poor choices. Here's a list that I wrote after gleaning some info in his book:
1.) Consume 2-3 servings of gluten-free whole grains (brown rice, millet, quinoa, etc.) or sprouted wheat bread.
2.) Beware--puffed or processed "whole" grains lack nutrients and may cause insulin spikes.
3.) Avoid soy milk and tofu as main protein sources. Soy is deficient in certain amino acids as well as vitamin A and D, and they contain certain "inhibitors" that interfere with the breakdown of its protein, plus soy contains goitrogens, which means that it doesn't let iodine absorb into the body.
4.) Make sure you get enough zinc (seafood, pumpkin seeds), Vitamin A (egg yolks, orange and green veggies, cod liver oil), Vitamin D (cod liver oil and sunlight), and Vitamin B-12 (egg yolks, fortified foods, nutritional yeast), and iodine (sea vegetables).
5.) Take a high quality flaxseed oil, or ground flaxseeds...the author says that both flax and fish oils promote health.
I just recently became vegetarian after reading Becoming Vegetarian: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Vegetarian Diet by Vesanto Melina, M.Sc., R.D. I was practically one already, just eating chicken nuggets and a burger every once in a while, so it was easy to make the full transition. Here's what I'm doing:
1.) I'm eating Omega-3 eggs including the yolk for Vitamin B-12, plus I take a supplement.
2.) I consume a whey protein powder supplement every day because it contains ALL essential amino acids. It is considered a "dairy" product because it comes from cows (I think it's that top layer that forms on fresh squeezed milk that they used to throw away), but it's easy to digest AND it boosts immunity!
3.) I drink Almond Breeze almond milk which is fortified with 450mg of calcium carbonate per serving.
4.) I eat fish every once in a while. Although I can't seem to get it juicy, I'm always overcooking!
5.) I consume lots of beans and legumes daily, making sure to eat them with Vitamin C-rich foods so that the iron from them absorb better, as well as some fruit and lots of veggies daily.
6.) I take a tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily. I use Udo's Choice 3-6-9 Blend.
7.) I've recently been using blackstrap molasses because it has A LOT of iron. Use it in baked beans recipe.
8.) I DON'T eat products with wheat gluten (I've developed a sensitivity and have a bad reaction--stomach issues, allergies, susceptibility to colds and flus) and I don't consume dairy products (can't digest lactose, plus milk produces extra phlegm, which I believe causes post nasal drip, colds, flus, allergies, but that's just my opinion).
- How to NEVER get sick...even the flu...what doctors don't even know or s...
- More tips on following a whole food, plant-based diet!
- How to start eating more of a plant-based diet without getting stomach p...
- It's easy to lose weight on a plant-based diet! Here's a list of what I...
- Already lost 2lbs. on my "Lose 5lbs. in 31 Days" Plan!
- Will lose those 5lbs on a near-vegan diet (a "side-effect" of a vegan di...
- Vegetarian 17DD C3 D2: My ups and downs, plus an alkalizing shake recipe...
- Vegetarian 17DD, Cycle 1, Day 17: Lost 3 Pounds!
- Iron Supplements: Use extreme caution
- Are you sick of being tired? 15 ways to increase energy naturally
- Vaginal Fissures--Read ahead to prevent this painful problem!
- 17 Day Diet: 17 reasons you aren't losing weight
- 17 Day Diet Tips to get you through the day
- Calcium Does Not Build Strong Bones! Here's What Else You Need.
- Too much calcium can cause heart disease and heart attack
- It was tarsal tunnel syndrome, not hypochondria or in my head
- Vitamin C and Zinc--Essential For Strong Immunity
- More on alkaline foods for longevity, strong immunity, clear thinking, a...