We've all heard The Doctor's say that the way to prevent cancer is all about getting regular check-ups, getting screened and catching it early on, eating right, and exercising. But here's some more in-depth information that I got out of reading Never Fear Cancer Again and A Survivor's Guide to Kicking Cancer's A**. I don't have cancer and never did, but lung cancer runs in my family, as well as Alzheimer's disease (both of my grandmothers), which I find the following helps with a whole range of diseases, from bacterial and viral infections all the way up to cancer:
1) Eliminate all processed oils, including trans fats and saturated fats from meat and dairy products. Increase the amount of good fats, like olive oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, fish oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.
2) Maintain a proper pH balance (you can look at some of my previous blogs for more on this!). Most American diets are too acidic, and acidosis (the name of the condition) is a huge contributor to our cancer epidemic! An acidic pH reduces the amount of oxygen in body fluids, and reduced oxygen not only turns cancer on, it drives it. An acidic pH changes your internal environment to one that supports cancer. What can you do to prevent acidosis in you? Simple. Eat less processed foods, cut out sugar, and increase your veggie intake! You can google acidic and alkaline foods and get some pretty neat charts to help you choose more healthful foods.
3) Simply eating a diet of predominately fruits and veggies can cut your cancer risk by 50% and in some cases 75%! Nutrient deficiencies will cause all your new cells to be improperly constructed and will also create chemical imbalances in those cells. For example, a deficiency of Vitamin D or an excess of Omega6 will suppress immunity and promote exactly the environment needed for cancer to grow. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, so choose wisely. Be proactive and study up on health and nutrition.
4) Reduce your exposure to toxins, like those found in conventional house cleaners, laundry detergents, shampoos, soaps, cosmetics, furniture and carpets (keep your house aired out when you get new furniture), plastics, pesticides, deodorants, air fresheners, the list goes on and on. The more you can reduce your exposure to toxins, the better your health will be. Toxins are known to both switch on cancer and to drive cancer. Go "green!" I buy all my household needs and personal care products at health food stores. They are free of chemicals. Some work better than others. Experiment and find natural products that you like.
5) Reduce stress. Stress can switch on and drive cancer as well. The mind is a mysterious thing. A change in your thinking or belief can actually change how your genes express--same genes, different results. Just as you are what you eat, you are what you think! Immune-suppressing and cancer promoting factors: lack of purpose, low self esteem, anxiety, depression, extreme mental or physical stress, stressful life events or the loss of a loved one. So please be proactive in your mental health...it affects your physical health!
6) List of do's and don'ts from A Survivor's Guide to Kicking Cancer's A**:
Don't eat sugar. Don't use sugar substitutes. Don't eat processed grains. Don't eat gluten. Don't eat dairy products. Don't ingest alcohol or caffeine. Don't use microwave ovens. Don't eat mucus-causing foods. Don't eat poor quality annimal fats. DO eat like our ancestors. Do eat greens, greens, and more greens. Do limit your fruit. Do follow a balanced alkaline diet. Do consume "gifts from the sea:" nori, kombu, wakame, dulse, arame. (From Let Food Be Thy Medicine chapter in the book)
7) Words of wisdom from the author Dena Mendes: "I eat what makes me feel great. I eat foods that promote life and health. I eat whole, natural foods in all their life-promoting, healing glory...eat it today, and if you feel good tomorrow, eat it again. If you feel bad tomorrow, don't eat it...the body doesn't develop problems without good reason...If you're having any kind of physical ailment, it's probably linked to what you're putting into your body,which would be food and beverages."
For more info, check out these books from your local library:
Never Fear Cancer Again: How to Prevent and Reverse Cancer by Raymond Francis, M. Sc
A Survivor's Guide to Kicking Cancer's A** by Dena Mendes