Last edited: May 21, 2012
There was a report out today that Azithromycin, otherwise known as a Z Pack causes sudden death in people who have a heart condition or heart disease. Over 55 million Americans took this just in the past year. They took it for sore throat, earache, pneumonia, or bronchitis. What if you have an underlying heart condition that you don't even know about yet? Then you take this antibiotic? Please be careful.
Take antibiotics only if you have a life threatening illness like pneumonia, flesh eating bacteria, STD, TB, etc...NOT for something minor that will clear up on its own, and surely not for a case of the sniffles or a sore throat! Antibiotics don't work for viruses, stop requesting them when you get a cold, and refuse a doctor who prescribes them for colds. Find other ways to cure minor bacterial and viral infections. Here's just a small list. Oh, and by the way, they have little to no side effects, meaning you won't drop dead by doing the following!!! :)
- Cut out sugar from your diet. There's absolutely no benefit to it and sugar is the "food" that feeds bacteria and viruses. Sugar weakens your immunity BIG TIME! A small amount every now and then might not hurt, but I've cut out all sugar except reduced sugar jam and ketchup.
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day, more if you exercise or it's hot out.
- Vitamin C daily (remember, more is not better, small dose of 250-500mg is okay but also eat Vitamin C foods). I take 1000mg if I'm starting to feel sick...my doc says it's okay for ME.
- Zinc, at least 15mg daily thru food or supplement, 50 mg MAX. (Be careful...taking a zinc supplement of 100 mg daily for a long time has shown to DEPRESS immunity, so more is definitely NOT BETTER! Too much zinc is dangerous.)
- Garlic and onions (they are antimicrobial foods)
- Lemons and limes (they are also antimicrobial)
- Olive leaf extract supplement (antimicrobial)
- Oregano extract supplement (antimicrobial)
- Colloidial silver supplement (antimicrobial)
- Probiotics in yogurt, kefir, etc., and/or probiotic supplement. Build up your "good bacteria" Army so they can fight off pathogens.
- Lots of organic fruits and veggies...they will keep your immune system strong.
- Homeopathic medicine--NO SIDE EFFECTS (please do your research)
- Avoid milk when you think you are coming down with an infection, especially a sinus infection. Milk produces excess mucus that can cause infections. I've been avoiding it for years and I feel much better. I get calcium thru almonds, fortified almond milk, leafy greens, and beans.
These are just my ideas, and I'm just a layperson. Please consult your doctor about any of the above, especially the supplements, to see if it's okay for you to take, as each person is different and is on different meds.
Please read the following for more information, especially regarding MRSA: http://thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts/14206-Antibiotics-and-their-Overuse-in-America
Here's a NY Times article if you want to read more about this latest news: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/health/research/popular-antibiotic-may-raise-risk-of-sudden-death.html
More info on the importance of Vitamin C and zinc for stronger immunity: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts/14232-Vitamin-C-and-Zinc