I was able to get over my sugar addiction. I was in a vicious cycle where I started to rely on sugar for energy. Big mistake. It got worse and worse until finally I said, enough is enough! Here are ways and reasons you should quit sugar once and for all.
1) Personally, I can’t do “moderation.” (When they say, “Oh, you can have sweets in moderation…”) After seeing my skin improve, my energy levels improve, my pain reduced, and my overall health improved, I wouldn’t WANT to do “moderation,” because you’re still consuming refined sugar.
2) Sugar has been shown to reduce your immunity. Makes you more susceptible to diseases like colds and flus…viruses, bacteria, yeast, and fungi LOVE sugar…and research has shown that sugar consumption along with other lifestyle choices can increase your risk of CANCER.
3) Sugar blocks the absorption of minerals like magnesium, which is why I’ve had terrible muscle spasms, even an acute, debilitating episode before quitting sugar once and for all.
4) I don’t believe in willpower. I DIDN’T have any! And I still was able to quit sugar. Make a mental decision to quit. Then get a support system, friends, relatives, etc. STOP stocking your house with junk food. You will go a bit crazy at first. I kept opening and closing all my cupboards over and over again, hoping something sweet would magically appear…this goes away in a week or two, so hang in there.
5) Yes, in a few weeks after cutting out sugar, your cravings go away. Especially if you eat lots of fruits and veggies, the sweetness from them can satisfy your cravings from now on.
6) Without refined sugar, your energy levels will go through the roof! When I was a sugar addict, I needed to take two hour naps, and I’d still be groggy when I woke from them. Now, I don’t need a nap AT ALL, I have the energy level that we all had back in our childhood!
7) When you get that sugar craving, before stuffing your mouth, ask yourself, “How is this going to make me feel?” Usually I reply, “In pain!” “Muscle spasm!” “Tired!” “Sluggish!” “Lethargic!” “Fat!” “Upset at myself!” ETC! Makes you think twice, and usually, you will put it down and skip the junk food altogether.
8) When I finally gave up sugar at the beginning of this year, I slooowly saw myself losing weight over the months. If you give up sugar and change nothing else, the weight will automatically come off. You are not feeding yourself excess calories each day, so your body will regulate itself and the weight will melt off. (It also helps not to consume all refined carbohydrates as well).
9) You will look younger, have better skin, and less/no blemishes!
10) Those recurring yeast infections will go away forever, ladies! Also, your PMS symptoms will lessen or go away.
11) You will have CLEAN teeth as you go through the day. When I run my tongue over my teeth now, they are smooth and plaque-free as I go through the day. Chances are, if you eat a lot of sugar like I did, when I rubbed my teeth before, they were grimy, plaque had developed in minutes after eating junk food. Also, no sugar= no cavities!
12) I kicked my addiction by finding healthy replacements. For instance, I stocked up on vegan date and nut bars instead of buying Snickers. I stocked my freezer with coconut ice cream bars sweetened with agave nectar if I started craving ice cream. Stock your house with fruit. STOP buying junk food and find healthy replacements that you like and are do-able. With NO junk food in the house, you cannot cave, you will PREVAIL!