During pregnancy, Dr. Lisa says women should gain between 25 and 35 pounds, or a half-a-pound to a pound per week. If you are underweight, you may gain a little bit more than that, and if you are overweight you may gain a little bit less. Dr. Lisa stresses that healthy weight gain is very important, and she has some daily diet guidelines for pregnant women.
• One serving of grains so you keep your carbohydrate intake low.
• Between two and four servings of fruit.
• Four or more servings of vegetables. “Vegetables are always good, so you can just keep going on that,” Dr. Lisa says.
• Four servings of dairy.
• Three servings of protein.
• Eat fats and sweets sparingly.